Information about Abortions
We Have to Know about the Abortions
- A miscarriage is the loss of a pregnancy before 24 weeks
- In an abortion, the woman’s body expels all or some of the fetus, the placenta and the fluid surrounding the baby
Could be dangerous, if the answer is YES for any one of the following questions
- Is there bleeding or severe abdominal pain during pregnancy?
- Any mass per vagina is present?
- Any leakage of liquor(amniotic fluid)?
Causes of Abortions
- Abnormalities of chromosomes
- Problems with the internal structure of a woman’s uterus
- Weak cervix
- Infections and hormonal imbalances
- Immune-system disorders, advancing maternal age
- Intrauterine growth retardation
- Intrauterine death
- Foetal distress (umbilical cord around the neck)
Do’s and Don’ts of Abortions
- Decrease your chances of having a miscarriage in a future pregnancy by taking good care of yourself, eating a healthy diet, taking iron and folic acid supplements, exercising regularly, regular antenatal checkups
Signs & Symptoms of Abortions
- Vaginal bleeding that may start as a brownish discharge
- Cramps in the pelvic area, lower back or abdomen
- A decrease in the usual signs of early pregnancy, such as nausea and breast tenderness
- Pain in the lower back or abdomen
- Tissue or blood clots passing from the vagina
Medical advice for Abortions
- See your doctor immediately if you have symptoms of a miscarriage
- Seek medicare care before the next conception
Risk factors of Abortions
- Women with poorly controlled diabetes or severe hypothyroidism
- Having rubella (German measles) during early pregnancy Mother with HIV infection
- Incompatible blood grouping between maternal and fetus (hemolytic disease of the newborn) Miscarriage is not caused by regular physical activities, minor accidents, exercise, sexual intercourse, or minor stumbles or falls.
Treatment for Abortions
- Requires inpatient management
- If you are in your late second trimester of pregnancy, your doctor most likely will admit you to a hospital and induce labor so that you can deliver the fetus and placenta safely.
Self-care for Abortions
- Take adequate bed rest
- Avoid strenuous exercise
Investigations for Abortions
- Blood Test