Information about Fibroids of the Uterus
We Have to Know about the Fibroids of the Uterus
- Non-cancerous growths of the uterus
- In general, fibroids cause no problems and seldom require treatment.
Could be dangerous, if the answer is YES for any one of the following questions
- Any bleeding per vaginum?
Causes of Fibroids of the Uterus
- Uterine fibroids develop from the smooth muscular tissue of the uterus (myometrium)
Do’s and Don’ts of Fibroids of the Uterus
- Seek the doctor
Signs & Symptoms of Fibroids of the Uterus
When signs and symptoms of uterine fibroids are present, the most common include:
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Prolonged menstrual periods or bleeding between periods
- Pelvic pressure or pain
- Urinary incontinence, frequent urination or urine retention
- A backache or leg pains
Medical advice for Fibroids of the Uterus
- If you have pelvic pain that doesn’t go away, overly heavy or painful periods, spotting or bleeding between periods, pain with intercourse, or difficulty emptying your bladder or moving your bowels.
- Seek prompt medical care if you have severe vaginal bleeding or sharp pelvic pain that comes on suddenly.
Risk factors of Fibroids of the Uterus
- Pre-menopausal women
Treatment for Fibroids of the Uterus
- If there are no signs or symptoms, watchful waiting is advisable
- Medications to shrink fibroids
- Myomectomy (Removal of fibroids without removing the uterus)
Self-care for Fibroids of the Uterus
Investigations for Fibroids of the Uterus
- Pelvic examination
- Complete Blood Count