Information about Filariasis
We Have to Know about the Filariasis
- It is a tropical disease, affects the lymphatic, characterized by the lymphatic blockade, thick skin, nonpitting edema.
Causes of Filariasis
Caused by three parasites
- Wuchereria Bancrofti
- Brugia malayi
- Brugia timori
Do’s and Don’ts of Filariasis
- seek the doctor
Signs & Symptoms of Filariasis
- Acute: Can be asymptomatic, Episodes of fever, inflammation of lymphatic, Epididymitis, Orchitis, Enlargement of Lymph nodes.
- Chronic: Obstruction to lymphatic flow, Scrotal Lymphedema, Chyluria (white Urine), Night Cough, Hydrocele, Elephantiasis of extremities, genitals, and breasts.
Medical advice for Filariasis
- When acute symptoms are present
Risk factors of Filariasis
- Endemic areas
- No protection from mosquito bites
Treatment for Filariasis
- surgically only the size of the affected part is reduced but not cause
Self-care for Filariasis
- If possible not to visit the infected areas
- Get protected from mosquito bite by using a net while sleeping or other means like ointment.
Investigations for Filariasis
- Blood Test
- Haemo-agglutination tests.