Information about Fluorosis
We Have to Know about the Fluorosis
- Fluorosis is the result of ingested 10.20 mg of fluoride per day for 10-20 years. About a million people suffer in India. It occurs where the fluoride water level is 72 ppm (sometimes even if it is < 1 ppm (Derivatives of fluoride are toothpaste, food, air).
Causes of Fluorosis
- Excessive consumption of fluoride in drinking water (More than 1 ppm)
Do‘s and Don’ts of Fluorosis
- Normal quantity of fluoride is must in drinking water (1 in 1 ppm).
- The benefit is maximum when it is taken before permanent teeth erupt
- Don’t consume water in which the fluoride level is more than 1 ppm.
Signs and Symptoms of Fluorosis
- Chalky white teeth patch.
- Yellow stained teeth
- Brown colored teeth.
- Discolored teeth.
- Weak teeth.
- Can affect dental enamel causing mottling, pitting, and pigmentation.
- Pain in bones, joints.
- Burning, tingling, and pricking in limbs.
- Muscles weakness, fatigue.
- Reduced appetite.
- Constant bone pains.
- Osteosclerosis (Dense bone).
- Osteoporosis in long bones.
- Impaired renal function.
Medical advice for Fluorosis
- Whenever the above symptoms appear and are not relieved by treatment.
Risk factors of Fluorosis
- Drinking of water from the area where the fluoride level is more than 1 ppm.
Treatment for Fluorosis
- Defluorination before its consumption for drinking.
- Symptomatic treatment.
Self Care for Fluorosis
- Avoiding drinking water which contains fluoride more than 1 ppm.
Investigation for Fluorosis
- Blood test.
- X-ray of long bones