Skip to content
Home Remedies For Alzheimer’s Disease
- According to a report published in the October 22, 1977 edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Ginkgo biloba extract can stabilize and in some cases improve the mental functioning and social behavior of people with Alzheimer’s disease. Take 100 to 200 mg of ginkgo biloba extract 3 times a day.
- The Chinese herb Qian Ceng to (Huperzia serata) increases memory retention. This is the same herb that is the source of huperzine A, and it is also known as club moss. Pure and standardized extracts of this herb have been shown to increase clear-headedness, language ability and memory retention in a significantly high percentage of subjects with Alzheimer’s disease. It is a potent blocker of acetylcholinesterase, an enzyme that regulates the activity of acetylcholine, which is an important chemical of the brain that maintains healthy learning and memory functions.
- Valerian root improves sleep patterns when taken as bedtime.
- Eat a well balanced diet of natural foods and follow the supplementation program mention above.
- Folate and Vitamin B12 prevent elevated levels of homocysteine, a chemical that increases the risk for Alzheimer’s disease and heart disease. This vitamin may be important for preventing or delaying the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. This vitamin is added to cereal products Foods containing folate include avocados, bananas, oranges, asparagus, green leafy vegetables, and dried beans. B12 is found only in animal products. (Oily fish are very high in B12 and also have other nerve-protective properties.). I recommend 400 mcg of folic acid to reduce homocysteine, although one study suggested 800 mcg (.8 mg) a day is necessary to reduce homocysteine levels.
- Avoid alcohol, cigarette smoke, processed foods, and metal pollutants like aluminum, and mercury.
- The herbs balm and sage are being researched for possible beneficial effects and brain chemistry. Balm appears to simulate the neurological receptors that bind acetylcholine. Sage contains compounds that are cholinesterase inhibitors.
- Vitamin E can slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by as much as 25% according to a study in 1997.
- A study conducted by the research department at Oakwood college in Alabama sowed that liquid aged garlic extract (kyolic) may be useful in the improvement of Alzheimer’s disease symptoms.