Skip to content
Home Remedies for Bruises and Bruising
- Bruises may be a minor problem that most of us don’t take very seriously but they can be prevented quite easily without much effort. To prevent severe bruising you need to apply a cold compress as soon as you suffer the injury before the signs of bruising even become apparent. Bruise treatment with ice is in fact the most commonly used home treatment. Before you attempt to learn how to get rid of bruises in any area such as on the arm, face, lips, or under the eyes with ice you should keep in mind that ice should never be applied directly to your skin as this could cause further damage to the tissue. No matter what the causes of bruising you can try treating bruises particularly under the eye or on the arms, face and legs with cold compresses by simply wrapping some ice in a towel or plastic bag and applying it to the affected area of skin. This remedy works as the extreme cold reduces blood flow into the region, thus reducing the bleeding and thereby the swelling and other signs of bruising. Elevating the affected area will also help as it will reduce the blood flow to the region.
- Take Vitamin K or alfalfa in tablets helps blood clotting. Eat a healthy diet rich in vitamin C and iron. Foods rich in vitamin C are broccoli, sweet potatoes, citrus fruits and cauliflower. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Take Vitamin C to prevent bruising by thickening the walls of blood vessels.
- Chinese people use a mixture of 1 part cayenne pepper and 5 parts melted Vaseline, mix and cool, apply once a day.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Pure water, herbal teas, and soups are all good choices.
- Make a tea with confrey root or buchu soak a rag in the tea and apply to bruised area, this has been shown to reduce pain and discoloration of the skin.
- Experts say the popular muscle soreness remedy Arnica is also your best bet for minimizing bruises and healing them fast. As soon as you bump your knee or other body part or notice a swelling or discoloration, gently rub a dollop of this homeopathic cream on it. Arnica shrinks inflammation and increases circulation to flush away the stagnant blood that turns your skin black and blue.