Skip to content
Home Remedies for Snoring
Tips To Stop Snoring
- Get a thorough medical examination to determine the exact cause and severity of your snoring.
- Try changing you sleep positions. For example, sell on your side.
- Use pillows to keep your neck straight and comfortable. Also, elevate your head, which can sometimes help minimize your snoring.
- Elevating your bed to elevate your head and torso may be required.
- Get your allergies under control, as this can help reduce your snoring.
- If you are overweight, lose some excess pounds. Losing excess weight can help to reduce snoring or stop it all together.
- Avoid drinking alcohol before bedtime.
- Check your medicines. Some medicines, like anthihistamines and sedatives, can actually increase your snoring.
- Stop smoking, as this aggravates the tissues in the throat that make you snore.
- Don’t’ eat a big meal before going to bed.
- Try avoiding dairy products in the evening, as for some people dairy increases mucus build-up in your throat, which can contribute to the snoring process.
- Try using nasal strips when sleeping. The nasal strips will open up your nasal passages and may reduce snoring.
- Make an effort to establish a regular sleeping schedule. Sometimes, poor sleep habits contribute to your snoring.
- Get adequate exercise, which helps to keep your nasal passages firm and in good conditioning, and helps with weight management.
Tips for Better Sleep.
- Keep a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Don’t exercise within two hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime may help you sleep more soundly.
- Don’t eat large meals within two hours of bedtime.
- Don’t nap later than 3 p.m.
- Try using a natural food, supplement and herbal sleep aids.
- Sleep in a dark, quiet room with a comfortable temperature.
- If you can’t fall asleep within 20 minutes, do a quiet activity somewhere else and return to bed when you’re sleepy.
- Wind down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.
- Get a relaxing massage to sooth tense muscles and relieve stress.
- If your sleep problems persist, see you doctor immediately, as you sleep problems could be a sign of a more serious health problem.