Information about Lead Poisoning
We Have to Know about the Lead Poisoning
- Lead is a metal that is poisonous (toxic) when breathed in or eaten by humans. Lead gets into the bloodstream and is stored in the organs, tissues, bones and teeth.
Could be dangerous, if the answer is YES for any one of the following questions
Causes of Lead Poisoning
- Lead-based paint
- Drinking water from pipes that are made of lead, using ceramic dishes made with lead, playing in lead-contaminated soil, using lead in hobbies or crafts such as making stained glass.
- Workplace exposure in adults. Young children can be exposed to lead when parents who work in these areas carry lead dust home on their clothes and shoes.
- A woman who had lead poisoning can pass lead on to her fetus if she becomes pregnant, even if she no longer is exposed to lead. This happens because more than 90% of the lead may be stored in the bones and then released into the bloodstream years later.
Do’s and Don’ts of Lead Poisoning
- To prevent lead poisoning, avoid or minimize exposure to lead. Remove lead paint
- Frequently wash a child’s hands, toys and pacifiers with soap and water.
- If you have lead paint in your home, do not try to remove it or paint over it yourself. Improper removal of lead paint can make contamination worse by sending lead-containing dust into the air
- Avoid storing food in lead crystal or lead-glazed dishes. Do not use cosmetics that contain lead such as kohl (eyeliner).
Signs & Symptoms of Lead Poisoning
- Permanent damage to the central nervous system, especially the brain
- Delayed development in children
- Behavioral changes in children
- Decreased production of red blood cells (anemia)
- Hearing problems
- Damage to the reproductive systems of men and women
- Kidney disease
- Convulsions (seizures)
- In pregnant women: stillbirths, miscarriages, premature births or problems in fetal neurological development
Medical advice for Lead Poisoning
- See the doctor immediately if you notice symptoms of lead poisoning or suspect that the child has been exposed to lead.
Risk factors of Lead Poisoning
Treatment for Lead Poisoning
- Remove the source of lead
- Treatment is not usually necessary if the blood lead level is low (less than 20 micro grams per deciliter)
- For higher level, medicines (ch elation therapy) are necessary
Self-care for Lead Poisoning
Investigations for Lead Poisoning
- Blood Test