Information About Narcolepsy
We Have to Know about the Narcolepsy
- Narcolepsy may be a chronic upset characterized by overwhelming daytime sleepiness and unexpected attacks of sleep.
Could be dangerous, if the answer is YES for any one of the following questions
- sleepy throughout the day?
Causes of Narcolepsy
- Genetics and a few kinds of triggers could have an effect on brain chemicals and contribute to the disorder.
Do’s of Narcolepsy
- consult the doctor
Signs & Symptoms of Narcolepsy
The symptoms of hypersomnia most typically begin between the ages of ten and twenty-five. They may worsen for the first few years and then continue for life. They include:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness. People with hypersomnia go to sleep rapidly, anywhere, anytime. For example, you’ll suddenly doze off whereas operating or talking with friends. You may sleep for many minutes or up to a unit of time before waking up and feeling fresh, but eventually, you fall asleep again.
- You also could expertise shrunken alertness throughout the day. The excessive daytime temporary state sometimes is that the 1st symptom to look and is commonly the foremost hard, making it difficult for you to concentrate and fully function.
- Sudden loss of muscle tone. This condition, called cataplexy (KAT-uh-plek-see), can cause a number of physical changes, from slurred speech to complete weakness of most muscles, and may last for a few seconds to a few minutes.
- Cataplexy is uncontrollable and is triggered by intense emotions, sometimes positive ones like laughter or excitement, however typically concern, surprise or anger. For example, your head could droop uncontrollably or your knees could suddenly buckle after you laugh.
- Some individuals with hypersomnia expertise just one or 2 episodes of cataplexy a year, whereas others have various episodes daily. Not everyone with narcolepsy experiences cataplexy.
- Sleep paralysis. People with hypersomnia usually expertise a brief inability to maneuver or speak whereas falling asleep or upon waking. These episodes area unit typically temporary — lasting many seconds or minutes — however, are often horrifying.You may remember the condition and don’t have any problem recalling it after, even if you had no control over what was happening to you.
- This sleep dysfunction mimics the kind of temporary dysfunction that commonly happens throughout speedy eye movement (REM) sleep, the amount of sleep throughout that most dreaming happens. This temporary immobility throughout rapid eye movement sleep could forestall your body from acting out dream activity.
- Not everyone with sleep paralysis has narcolepsy, however. Many people while not hypersomnia expertise some episodes of sleep dysfunction, especially in young adulthood.
- Hallucinations. These hallucinations are called hypnagogic hallucinations if they happen as you fall asleep and hypnopompic hallucinations if they occur upon waking. They may be particularly vivid and frightening because you may be semi-awake when you begin dreaming and you experience your dreams a reality.
Medical advice for Narcolepsy
- See your doctor if you experience excessive daytime sleepiness that seriously disrupts your personal or professional life
Risk factors for Narcolepsy
- The condition may run in families. A small proportion of individuals with hypersomnia have a detailed relative with the unwellness.
Treatment for Narcolepsy
- There is no cure for hypersomnia, however, medications and style modifications will assist you to manage the symptoms.
Medications for narcolepsy include:
- Stimulants.medicine that stimulate the central system area unit the first treatment to assist individuals with hypersomnia not blink throughout the day. Doctors usually strive modafinil (Provigil) or armodafinil (Nuvigil) initial for hypersomnia as a result of it isn’t as addictive as older stimulants and doesn’t turn out the highs and lows usually related to
older stimulants. Side effects of modafinil are uncommon, but they may include a headache, nausea or dry mouth.
- Some people need treatment with methylphenidate (Aptensio XR, Concerta, Ritalin) or various amphetamines. These medications area unit terribly effective however could generally cause facet effects like nervousness and heart palpitations and may be addictive.
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) / serotonin & norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). Doctors usually inflict these medications, which suppress the REM sleep, to help alleviate the symptoms of cataplexy, hypnagogic hallucinations and sleep paralysis. They embrace Prozac (Prozac, Sarafem, Selfemra) and venlafaxine (Effexor XR). Side effects will embrace weight gain, sexual dysfunction, and digestive problems.
- Take tricyclic (Vivactil), tricyclic antidepressant drug (Tofranil) and tricyclic antidepressant drug (Anafranil), square measure effective for cataplexy, however many of us complain of aspect effects, like xerotes and lightheadedness. and lightheadedness.
- Sodium oxybate (Xyrem). This medication is highly effective for cataplexy. Sodium oxybate helps to boost nighttime sleep, which is often poor in narcolepsy. In high doses, it may also help control daytime sleepiness. It must be taken in two doses, one at bedtime and one up to four hours later.
- Xyrem will have facet effects, such as nausea, bed-wetting, and worsening of sleepwalking. Taking atomic number 11 oxybate beside alternative sleeping medications, narcotic pain relievers or alcohol can lead to difficulty breathing, coma, and death.
If you’ve got various health problems, like high pressure or polygenic disorder, raise your doctor however the medications you’re taking for your alternative conditions could move with those taken for narcolepsy.
Certain over-the-counter medications, such as allergy and cold medications, can cause drowsiness. If you’ve got hypersomnia, your doctor can doubtless suggest that you simply avoid taking these medications.
Emerging treatments being investigated for narcolepsy include hypocretin replacement, hypocretin gene therapy, and immunotherapy, but further research is needed before any may be available in clinical practice.
Self-care for Narcolepsy
- Stick to a schedule.
- Take naps.
- Avoid nicotine and alcohol.
- Get regular exercise.
Investigations for Narcolepsy
- Sleep questionnaire
- Polysomnogram Multiple sleep latency tests.