Skip to content
Information about Typhoid Fever
We Have to Know about the Typhoid Fever
- Typhoid fever spreads through contaminated food and water or through close contact with someone who’s infectected
Could be dangerous, if the answer is YES for any one of the following questions
Causes of Typhoid Fever
- Salmonella paratyphi, causes paratyphoid fever
- Fecal-oral route
- The bacteria that cause typhoid and paratyphoid fever both spread through contaminated food or water and occasionally through direct contact with someone who is already infected
Do’s and Don’ts of Typhoid Fever
Signs & Symptoms of Typhoid Fever
- Fever, often as high as 103 or 104 F (39 or 40 C).
- Weakness and fatigue.
- A sore throat.
- Abdominal pain.
- Diarrhea or constipation. Children are more likely to have diarrhea whereas adults may become severely constipated.
Medical advice for Typhoid Fever
- See a doctor immediately if you suspect you have typhoid fever
Risk factors of Typhoid Fever
- Work in or travel to areas where typhoid fever is endemic
- Have close contact with someone who is infected or has recently been infected with typhoid fever
- Have an immune system weakened by medications such as corticosteroids or diseases such as HIV/AIDS
- Drink ing water contaminated by sewage that contains Salmonella . typhi
Treatment for Typhoid Fever
- Antibiotic therapy is the only effective treatment for typhoid and paratyphoid fevers
- Drinking fluids.
Self-care for Typhoid Fever
Investigations for Typhoid Fever
- Widal test
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA).