Information about Vitamin B 12(Cyanocobalamine)
We Have to Know about Vitamin B 12(Cyanocobalamine)
- Vitamin B12 is a complex organo-metallic compound with a cobalt atom. The preparation which is therapeutically used is Cyanocobalamine
- Good sources are
- Liver, Kidney, Meat, Fish, Eggs, Milk and Cheese.
- Vitamin B]2 is not found in foods of vegetable origin.
- It is synthesized by bacteria in the colon
- In big Intestines (Colon) many nonharmful bacteria will normally live and they are useful to a human for providing useful nutrients.
- These microorganisms are called symbiotic organisms, unnecessary we should not take antibiotics for long periods
- Vitamin B12 cooperates with Folic acid in the synthesis of DNA (It is required for cell division and cell normal function),
- Vitamin B12 has a separate biochemical role, unrelated to Folate, in the synthesis of fatty acids in myelin (nerve cell layer acts as an insulator)
- Results in
- Megaloblastic anaemia (pernicious anemia)
- Demyelization of neurological lesions in the spinal cord
- For its absorption, a factor from the stomach is required. Then it is absorbed only at a special site in the terminal ileum.
- Hence people suffering from any chronic disease of ileum will suffer from Vitamin – B12 deficiency.